Tuesday, April 30, 2013

We Were Made to be Courageous [confessions of a new girl]


They stare at you.

They giggle together, and look at you.

But they don't say anything to you.

Because you're the new girl.

I feel like I've been the new girl a lot. We move, we join different things, we go to different events... it's all the same. There's been so many different reactions to me, the "new girl". I've been stared at like I'm some kind of alien being. I've ignored. I've had glances. But I don't think I ever remember somebody just coming up and saying, "Hi, my name's such-and-such. I'm so glad that you're here!"

Maybe that's why whenever there's somebody new, wherever I am, I try to include them. It's so hard being the new girl. Being stared at. Being glanced at. Being ignored. But never brought into a new circle of friends. I know that if you've done that, you're probably just shy. Just scared. And I admit it. I've been like that too, sometimes. But I'm trying to grow out of my shyness. Because you know what? Being shy is really just being rude.

I can understand if you're shy. I really can. I am a seriously shy person. But what if you did that thing that you were scared to do? What then? Are you going to die? Is your head going to fall off? Are they going to yell at you because just said hi? When you boil it down to what it really is--just a little fear--suddenly it doesn't seem as big, does it?

But if you're new and somebody walks up to you and talks to you, I'm just going to tell you right now. It makes all the difference. I mean, really. I have actually gone into a place and have had people stare at me because they didn't know me. And you know what? Not one of those people like ever talked to us. It's sad, isn't it? It's like just because you're new, somehow you're an all together different species or something.

I hate that.

If you're shy, I want to encourage you to try and break out of that. And I'm going to say it now--it is possible to do it. I find myself doing things and I realize that if I'd had to to those things like a year ago, I probably would've freaked out, or been to scared to even try. So I'm begging you. Have courage. If not for yourself, then for God. For those people who want to be talked to. For your friends. For your family. Have courage.

Just have courage.

We were made to be courageous.
~Casting Crowns

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I really loved this Storyteller. I felt you were speaking right to me! Very inspirational - thanks. That's an awesome song by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) haha :) Yeah, it is!! I love that song. :)

      Delete

be kind • be polite • be amazing