Thursday, May 9, 2013

no act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted

I push open the door of the library. I walk forward for several paces and then take a right down the stairwell to the kid's section. I don't care that I'm considered "too old" for those kind of books. I love those kind of books. My hand reaches out and grips the railing, because my knee's unstable. The brace helps, but it can't do everything. I pause by the tiles underneath the window on the small landing, seeing the names and the hand paint spread on them. Then I finish the last staircase.

Something stops me. It's the little banner that hangs on the short hallway's wall. I've seen it millions of times, coming down here for new good books. I used to not understand the words. I used to wonder what they meant. After awhile, I kind of just started to forget it was even there. But, sometimes, I still read the words. And now I'm old enough to know what they mean.

"No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted." ~Aesop

That banner's always been there in my library. And those words come back to me. "No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted." How many times do I be kind to others, in just even small things? Think about for a moment. How have you? What kindnesses have you done? What kindness can you do?

It's never wasted. Even one small kindness is always seen, even if it seems like it isn't. Even though others don't see them, there is somebody who does. God. He always sees. And you know what? The other person's going to see, too. And even if they don't, it doesn't matter. It wasn't wasted. Those people will just be all the better because you did what you did.

How can you show kindness?

How can I show kindness?

It's never wasted.

a kindness is never wasted
even if it seems to be
even if you give some
to your worst enemy
even they will know
that deep inside your heart
with the Lord, your Savior
you are never apart
they will know you're different
that it doesn't matter to you
that you're going to show kindness to them
whatever they happen to do

2 comments:

be kind • be polite • be amazing